Violence against women and girls remains pervasive across the world, despite significant efforts being made to recognise, eliminate, and prevent it in all its forms. Eliminating violence against women and girls is pivotal to achieving gender equality, women’s empowerment, and the Sustainable Development Goals. Elimination can only be done through prevention. Successful prevention requires:
- political commitment and leadership,
- implementing laws and policies that promote gender equality,
- investing in women’s organisations,
- allocating resources to prevention, and
- addressing the multiple forms of discrimination women face daily.