As Australia and the world faces the rapidly escalating COVID-19 crisis, we stand with refugees, people seeking asylum and the organisations working with them.
A pandemic of this nature, unprecedented in our life-times, brings great uncertainty and fear for all of us, but especially the people most vulnerable in our society.
The Refugee Council of Australia is regularly consulting with our members to understand how they and the people they work with are impacted by COVID-19. We are communicating with the government our concerns and recommendations. If you are part of a refugee-led organisation or organisation working directly with refugees and people seeking asylum and would like to be part of these consultations and online meetings please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Where you can get health and prevention information:
- Translated resources on COVID-19 available
- Find information about Coronavirus (COVID-19) in your preferred language.
- The National Department of Health’s official COVID-19 page which provides updated news, resources for the community, etc.
- Healthdirect symptom checker if you’re concerned you may have the virus.
- Red Cross COVID-19 official resource page, which includes community posters showing how to prevent the spread. These are available in many different languages.
What economic support you can get from Centrelink:
In light of the impact of COVID-19, Economic Justice Australia has published a factsheet which provides information on what Centrelink can do for people affected by COVID-19. The factsheet covers:
- Economic Support Payment for Centrelink recipients
- Mutual Obligations
- Payments if you don’t currently get Centrelink
- Asset Hardship Provisions<
People who need legal help with Centrelink issues can find their local Economic Justice Australia member centre at http://ejaustralia.org.au/
Services available to you:
- Find service providers in your area and get an update on their websites on any changes to their operations due to COVID-19.
- Legal and migration advice in your area – each organisation will provide updates on how their services are impacted by COVID-19.