Temporary Visa Holders (sub-class 408) who meet eligibility conditions are offered visa extension to stay in Australia for an additional 12 months.
The COVID-19 Pandemic event visa is available to people who are:
- are unable to depart Australia due to COVID-19
- have 28 days or less remaining on their current visa or where their last temporary visa has expired less than 28 days ago
- are not eligible for any other visa based on their intended activities or
- have evidence from their employer that they have ongoing work in a critical sector and that an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident cannot fill the position.
Who can apply:
- Working holiday makers working in critical sectors who are not eligible for any other visa and are unable to return to their home country.
- Seasonal Worker Programme visa holders with visas due to expire within 28 days.
- Other temporary visa holders whose visas are about to expire, have no other visa options, are unable to return to their home country and who are working in critical sectors. Evidence of this work needs to be submitted with the application.
- Other temporary visa holders may apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic event visa only where there is no other visa option and it is not possible to leave Australia due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This will allow them to remain lawfully in Australia until it is safe and practical to return to their home country.
Length of Stay
- If you are employed in a critical sector such as agriculture, food processing, health care, aged care, disability care, and childcare you may be granted a visa that allows you to stay for up to 12 months.
- If you have been in Australia under the Seasonal Worker Program or Pacific Labour Scheme and are continuing your work in agriculture or another critical sector you may be granted a visa allowing you to stay for up to 12 months.
- If you are not working in a critical sector, you may be granted a visa that allows you to stay for up to six months to ensure you remain lawful while you are unable to travel home from Australia.