There are thousands of short-term jobs up for grabs… Our fruit growers across the Goulburn Valley and Southern Victoria need your help to get the fruit off the trees.
- Fruit picking & packing, general farm work. Some jobs need a level of training or skills, e.g. driving.
- Your employer will let you know what is needed
- Longer term jobs available for those interested.
What will I be doing/What is a typical day?
- Working hours may vary and can start as early as 6.30am when it’s warmer and may finish by 2pm to 5pm depending on the farm and weather.
- You will be up and down ladders, bending and picking fruit so it will be physically demanding and you will be working outdoors
Do I need experience?
No experience needed apart from being physically healthy, fit and a great attitude!
How much will I get paid?
The Australian Government’s Horticulture Award outlines minimum pay rates and other entitlements eg. leave and overtime. Depending on your employer and your age, workers can earn an hourly wage or a piecework rate.
What are Piece Rates?
A piece rate is where a worker earns money based on the amount they have picked, packed, pruned or made. Instead of the hours worked, an employer pays the worker for the number of kilograms or bins of produce they pick. Visit the Fair Work Ombudsman’s Horticulture showcase.
How do I apply for work?
- Call or visit MADEC, Shepparton on 03 5829 3600
- or search and register jobsearch.gov.au/harvest
- Register your interest via greatershepparton.com.au/pick-shepp
Source: Fruit Growers Association Victoria