Greater Shepparton Candidate Shelley Sutton gives a statement on the meaning of multiculturalism and the services required.
Greater Shepparton Council Elections
All candidates were asked to respond to these questions.
- What does multiculturalism mean to Shepparton?
- What specific services should Council provide to support these communities?
Responses in ballot paper order are given herewith without comment.
What does multiculturalism mean to Shepparton?
Multiculturalism is extremely important to Greater Shepparton as this community provides a plethora of opportunities to our region and its people. It provides cultural diversity, ideas and a mix of skills for the region with new perspectives on work practices and problem solving. It also provides a competent workforce, for many and varied industries, necessary for many of our employers. We have new festivals, foods, music, culture and faiths that enhances living in Greater Shepparton today because of the arrival of many and varied nationalities that have chosen to live and work here.
What specific services should council provide to support these communities?
- Council should commit to flexible needs-based support for both new and existing migrants.
- Provide Information in a multitude of languages for services that Council provides.
- Partner with The Ethnic Council, employment, housing, health and welfare agencies in Greater Shepparton to provide all information required for newcomers to our community.
- Continue to work with the multicultural community to assist with festivals and events that celebrate their communities and provide opportunities for cross cultural connection and celebration.
Source: Candidate’s statements supplied to Ethnic Council of Shepparton and District.