Greater Shepparton Candidate Dinny Adem gives a statement on the meaning of multiculturalism and the services required.
Greater Shepparton Council Elections
All candidates were asked to respond to these questions.
- What does multiculturalism mean to Shepparton?
- What specific services should Council provide to support these communities?
Responses in ballot paper order are given herewith without comment.
What does multiculturalism mean to Shepparton?
Multiculturalism is and means normal life in Greater Shepparton.
Being a melting pot for cultures from all over the world, combined with our strong indigenous population has transformed Greater Shepparton into one of, if not Australia’s premier cosmopolitan regional cities.
With so many races and cultures contributing to the mosaic that is Greater Shepparton, we have created a culture that stands out as a model of integration and is a true reflection of our unique Australian society.
What specific services should council provide to support these communities?
- Council supports and celebrates Multiculturalism via a raft of wonderful community events and activities.
- Multicultural food, music and religious events are regularly enjoyed by all of the community and are crucial in maintaining a spirit of understanding and inclusion which defines Greater Shepparton.
- Council could focus more on advocating to the Federal Government for the expedient resolution of visa applications that cause great stress and financial burdens on new and recent immigrants.
- Many immigrants are hindered in planning their futures as these processes can often take years to be finalised.
- If elected I will be leading Councils efforts to lobby the Federal Government to release more funds to the Immigration department and courts to facilitate a speedy resolution of visa applications.
Source: Candidate’s statements supplied to Ethnic Council of Shepparton and District.