Information for Seasonal Workers

Information for Seasonal Workers

The Victorian Government gives Sector guidance for agriculture, forestry and fishing businesses within metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria. The Ring of Steel has gone, and the restrictions remain the same for all Victoria. This page will be updated shortly.

Do I need to get tested for coronavirus (COVID-19) before starting work if I am moving to regional Victoria for seasonal work ?

Yes, if you are moving from Melbourne to live in regional Victoria for seasonal work you must be tested. Seasonal workers relocating to regional Victoria must be tested before they are allowed to work if they have been in metropolitan Melbourne in the last 14 days. Your employer will ask to see a negative test result, dated no more than four days before you start work.

If you have not been in metropolitan Melbourne in the last 14 days, you do not need to get tested. However, if you return to Melbourne and then go back to regional Victoria for seasonal work, then you must be tested again.

The coronavirus test is free for everyone. This includes people without a Medicare card, such as visitors from overseas, migrant workers and asylum seekers.


Get Tested

Can I travel to work from metropolitan Melbourne each day?

Yes, you can travel from metropolitan Melbourne to work each day. You must have your worker permit with you when travelling to and from work.

You will be asked by your employer where you have come from each day. You may also be asked to be tested at work on an ongoing basis. This is to keep you and your workplace safe.

What do I need to do at work to stay safe?

To stay safe at work you should:

  • stay in your work group (‘bubble’)
  • always wear your face mask at work
  • keep at least 1.5 metres away from others
  • wash your hands regularly
  • do not come to work if you feel sick
  • get tested should you have any symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19).

The symptoms to watch out for are fever, chills or sweats, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, runny nose and loss or change in sense of smell or taste.

What do I do if I have coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms?

If you have any coronavirus symptoms:

  • do not come to work
  • tell your employer
  • get tested at your nearest testing site
  • isolate until you receive your test results.

Financial support is available to help you stay home if you need it. To find out more visit or call the coronavirus hotline on 1800 675 398. If you need an interpreter press 0 when you call the hotline.

Where can I get tested for coronavirus (COVID-19) before I start working?

Your employer can help you find a testing site. You can also visit where to get tested

Will I have to share details about my visa status?

No. Testers will not ask, and do not need to know, your visa status or the status of those you live with. We are only looking to find out if you might have coronavirus (COVID-19) and how we can help keep you and our community safe.

Find out more about coronavirus (COVID-19) and how to stay safe

DHHS.vic – coronavirus (COVID-19)
If you need an interpreter, call TIS National on 131 450

Authorised and published by the Victorian Government, 1 Treasury Place, Melbourne.
© State of Victoria, Australia, Department of Health and Human Services, 21 October 2020. (2001628 graphics)
Available at DHHS.vic –Translated resources – coronavirus (COVID-19)


Get Tested


Image Source


Translate »